Llanthony Secunda Manor, Caldicot, Wales- Paranormal Investigation
*Saturday 3rd March
Following the success of our previous investigations here we are really looking forward to being back at the very haunted, medieval Llanthony Secunda Manor.
Your paranormal investigation at Llanthony Secunda Manor will include:-
*Vigils & seances in groups
*Ouija board (optional), glass divination, table tipping
*Full use of equipment including K2 meters, spirit boxes, hand held temperature thermometers, pendulums
*Medium throughout the night
*Opportunity to conduct your own/lone investigating
The Manor is approximately 800 years old and although it was once owned by King Henry VIII he did not live here. The Manor is steeped in history and this is reflected in its appearance and decor with heavy oaked doors, tapestries, ancient stone walls, stone spiral staircases, open log fires and bread ovens.
Earliest recorded history of the Manor has been traced back to between 1136 and 1205 and the reign of King Henry I. During the reigns of King Stephen & Queen Matilda the Augustinian monks of Llanthony Prima Priory in Monmouthshire sought refuge at Llanthony Secunda in Gloucestershire and the Manor house in Caldicot.
King Henry VIII owned Llanthony Secunda Manor in 1536 when he also acquired large amounts of land following dissolution of the monasteries. Clement Dace was appointed as Henry’s bailiff and farmer, in 1540 and it is believed he lived in the Manor. In 1557 the Manor was sold to Richard Seyborne for the sum of Â£174.5s.6d.
Richard’s son, John, sold the property to Edward & Mary Kemeys between 1601 and 1603 and it remained in the Kemeys family until 1793 when it was purchased by Henry Wise Jnr a local ship builder. Henry’s wife Sarah passed away in 1851 and he passed away five years later. The estate was left to Henry’s niece Mary Bryan who in turn sold the estate to the Howard family.
Edmund Howard was a widower and lived at the Manor with his three children Susan, Edmund and Bennett and Sara Richard was recorded as living at the farm as a servant girl aged 18. The Howard’s sold to William Morgan in 1941 and after the Second World War it was purchased by The Heavens until sold to developers in 1970. The Manor was due for demolition in 1972 but was purchased by Mrs S.M. McLeod who lovingly restored and rescued the Manor from its impending fate.
It has been reported that recent renovations of the property have triggered a series of unexplained activity,ranging from:
– The sounds of monks chanting
– There have been unexplained pools of water appearing in the Great Hall.
– Feelings of being watched and followed have been experienced
– Items have been moved without explanation.